LA Galaxy 2, DC United 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Galaxy star Zlatan Ibrahimovic opened scoring early in the 5th minute with a quick volley past goalkeeper David Ousted. Former D.C. United midfielder Chris Pontius was quick to add a second for the Galaxy. Less than a minute later, United's Zoltan Stieber had an answer to bring United back within one goal.
After almost 45 minutes of back-and-fourth soccer, with plenty of offsides called, United completed the comeback after going down 2-0 early. Midfielder Paul Arriola gave a quick pass to Mattocks who shimmed his way through the Galaxy defense for the final score of the game.
- 5' - LA - Zlatan Ibrahimovic | Watch
- 25' - LA - Chris Pontius | Watch
- 26' - DC - Zoltan Stieber | Watch
- 85' - DC - Darren Mattocks | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Just hold on, United is going home. After a long-awaited new stadium, Audi Field is finally ready for its first MLS game. Playing the majority of the season on the road, United return to D.C. with a record of (2-7-5). The slope is steep as United must win a majority of its 15 home games with just 20 matches left in the regular season run. United scored 17 goals in the last 8 games, but conceded 19. To help with the playoff push, United look to a deep midfield and star power from its news addition, Wayne Rooney.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Mattocks called for the ball. With confidence, the forward dodged a line of Galaxy defenders to find United's late equalizer.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Mattocks had to prove himself after the Rooney announcement. His competition now includes the English national team's all-time leading scorer. With five goals in the last six games, Mattocks made it clear that he will not go quietly.