Real Salt Lake 4, Sporting Kansas City 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Sporting took the lead 20 minutes in, as Seth Sinovic's cross was poked in by Daniel Salloi from point-blank range. But RSL tied up the game nine minutes later, as Jefferson Savarino latched onto a ball on the edge of Sporting's box, and hit a blast to beat Tim Melia.
Corey Baird then gave RSL the lead in the 37th minute with a confident finish off a throw-in deep in Sporting's end, and Sebastian "Bofo" Saucedo extended that lead with a dribble and shot from distance.
In the second half, Ike Opara cut Sporting's deficit in half, but it looked like RSL would get another goal when Albert Rusnak stepped up to the penalty spot. His off-speed chip was easily caught by Melia, however.
Sporting's comeback efforts were halted in the final minute of regulation when Salloi was sent off for an errant hand to Nick Besler's face, followed by a red card to Roger Espinoza in stoppage time for another foul on Besler.
RSL drew another penalty deep in stoppage time, and Luis Silva buried the second attempt to complete the scoring on the night.
- 20' – SKC – Daniel Salloi | WATCH
- 29' – RSL – Jefferson Savarino | WATCH
- 37' – RSL – Corey Baird | WATCH
- 45+1' – RSL – Sebastian Saucedo | WATCH
- 64' – SKC – Ike Opara | WATCH
- 90+10' – RSL – Luis Silva (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: RSL, winless in three, were at danger of dropping through the playoff spots in the Western Conference, and this win bolsters their postseason credentials. Sporting, meanwhile, have lost two in a row, both on the road, and will look to bounce back at home this weekend against Toronto FC.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Goals off throw-ins aren't unheard of but they aren't that common, and this one to start RSL's scoring was smart and good skill from the home side.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was a balanced game for RSL, but Saucedo gets the edge, for scoring an impressive goal that turned out to be the winner, and frustrating Sporting's defenders all night. Perhaps his efforts indirectly led to the late red cards for SKC?