Sporting Kansas City 2, Toronto FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Toronto FC came into Saturday night's match against Sporting Kansas City off a disheartening loss in Minnesota on Wednesday. It was a back-and-forth affair at Children's Mercy Park, but Greg Vanney's team was able to escape Kansas City with a much-needed point.
Jonathan Osorio put the road side up in the 25th minute, smoothly finishing off a Justin Morrow cross. SKC took control of the match over the next 35 minutes, despite the absence of Daniel Salloi and Roger Espinoza, who were both suspended for the match after being shown red cards on Wednesday against Real Salt Lake.
Sporting got their first goal from the spot through Ilie, after Eriq Zavaleta took down Gerso Fernandes in the box. SKC took the lead after Diego Rubio slipped Johnny Russell through on goal. The Scottish winger easily scored his sixth goal of the season.
But the lead didn't last for long as Jordan Hamilton scored his second goal this week, firing a shot into the corner from 25 yards out.
TFC snapped a three-game losing streak, while Sporting have now conceded at least two goals in each of their last three matches.
- 25' – TOR – Jonathan Osorio | WATCH
- 57' – SKC – Ilie (PK) | WATCH
- 61' – SKC – Johnny Russell | WATCH
- 69' – TOR – Jordan Hamilton | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: TFC snapped their losing streak, but still sit well behind the final playoff spot heading into a crucial four-game stretch against conference opponents ahead of them in the standings. SKC will have to lick their wounds with both Ike Opara and Khiry Shelton leaving the match with injuries.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Nicolas Hasler entered the match in the 67th minute and had an immediate effect, muscling Kuzain off the ball to give Hamilton the opportunity to level the match. Sporting fans were unhappy about the no-call but it would have been harsh to call a foul on the Liechtensteiner.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: There were no real standouts, but Fernandes was lively on the left wing in a rare start.