New York City FC 3, Montreal Impact 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
New York City FC remained on a high after their win in the NY Derby in Week 19, as they defeated the Montreal Impact 3-0 at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday night to move within three points of Atlanta United for the best record in MLS.
After a cagey hour in which NYCFC dominated in shots but found few on target, they took the lead courtesy of a knuckling shot from beyond the box by Jesus Medina. Five minutes later, substitute Ronald Matarrita chipped in with a goal to extend the lead, with a likely diagonal cross floating into the back corner and fooling Montreal goalkeeper Evan Bush.
NYCFC weren't done, as another substitute, Jonathan Lewis, buried a third goal for the hosts with a header off a good build-up in the 76th minute.
- 60' – NYC – Jesus Medina | WATCH
- 65' – NYC – Ronald Matarrita | WATCH
- 76' – NYC – Jonathan Lewis | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Believe it or not, but this is NYCFC's first winning streak since mid-April, and the win helps them keep pressure on Atlanta atop the Eastern Conference and Supporters' Shield standings, with a game in hand. Montreal's four-game winning streak is snapped, but they get another chance at three points on Saturday when they host San Jose.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Medina's goal to open the scoring was so good that Evan Bush was left rooted to his place in goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: An early miss felt like a sign of more struggles for Medina in his debut MLS season, but he came to life in the final 30 minutes that showed the potential he flashed in the opening weeks of the season, with a goal and an assist for the Cityzens.