DC United 3, Vancouver Whitecaps 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
WASHINGTON—After four months of away and temporary-site games in 2018, some 15 months of construction and well over a decade of searching for a place of their own, D.C. United finally came home on Saturday night.
Playing their inaugural match at Audi Field, the Black-and-Red christened their intimate new downtown stadium with a 3-1 victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps, delighting a sellout crowd of 20,504 and also bringing new signing Wayne Rooney off the bench for his MLS debut.
Yamil Asad scored the first goal in the venue's history with a delightful dipping, curling effort from range in the first half, and D.C. poured it on after the break as Paul Arriola struck twice, the home side carving up the 'Caps with some slick possession and combination play.
Rooney logged a little over half an hour, looking eager and sharp despite limited fitness or time with his new teammates, and even got himself on the scoresheet with an assist on Arriola's second.
Alphonso Davies scored a late consolation goal for Vancouver with a scintillating solo effort, but the historic night belonged to the hosts.
- 27' – DC – Yamil Asad | WATCH
- 69' – DC – Paul Arriola | WATCH
- 80' – DC – Paul Arriola | WATCH
- 90+4' – VAN– Alphonso Davies | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: There's no place like home, and while United will need plenty more of these sorts of performances to climb back into the Eastern Conference's playoff race, they can dive into their home-heavy stretch-run slate with skyrocketing confidence.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Arriola's first goal doubled the lead, allowing the home faithful to relax and enjoy themselves knowing the three points were in sight ... and it was also a flowing passing move that tore the 'Caps defense apart. .
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Paul Arriola worked his socks off all game as usual, and capped it with two moments of quality in front of the net.