Toronto FC 3, Ottawa Fury FC 0 | 2018 Canadian Championship Match Recap
Toronto FC's quest to defend their Canadian Championship title remains alive, after defeating USL side Ottawa Fury FC 3-0 at BMO Field on Wednesday, to win the semifinal series by a 4-0 aggregate scoreline.
A free kick attempt from Fury playmaker Kevin Oliveira in the 70th minute sailed just over the goal. Six minutes later, TFC substitute Jordan Hamilton turned in Ashtone Morgan's low cross to double the home side's lead on the night.
- 36' – TOR – Ayo Akinola
- 76' – TOR – Jordan Hamilton
- 84' – TOR – Marky Delgado
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's the third win in a row across all competitions for TFC, who are still looking to claw their way back into the playoff picture in league play. Many of their young products got playing time, as did Jozy Altidore, working up to fitness after a long injury layoff. Ottawa will be disappointed they could not spring an upset as they were second-best in this game.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The first half was rather sleepy, but Akinola's goal helped put TFC firmly in the driver's seat in the two-legged series.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The 18-year-old Akinola helped break open the game with his first-half goal. On a team looking for scoring options, a performance like this could get him more playing time for the first team moving forward.