Toronto FC 3, Chicago Fire 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Toronto FC continued their efforts to turn their 2018 MLS regular season around, completing a home-and-away sweep against the Chicago Fire the last two weeks, following a 3-0 win at BMO Field on Saturday.
Both teams, looking to get up above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference, needed a win, with TFC prevailing, coming to within a point of the Fire in the standings.
After an energetic but ultimately fruitless first half on both ends, Toronto took the lead in the 52nd minute. After Chicago goalkeeper Richard Sanchez made two excellent point-blank saves on TFC shots, Jozy Altidore banged in the free rebound to put the home side on the board.
From there, Chicago seemed to find a new gear and tried to get back into the game, but Toronto continued to push for another goal, which was duly converted by Jonathan Osorio off Sebastian Giovinco's feed in the 72nd minute. Moments later, Giovinco's effort to extend the lead even more bounced off the post.
Giovinco got his strike in the final minutes, however, as his deflected strike made it 3-0 for TFC.
- 52' – TOR – Jozy Altidore | WATCH
- 72' – TOR – Jonathan Osorio | WATCH
- 89' – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was a successful week indeed for Toronto, who sandwiched a win midweek to send them to the Canadian Championship final around the wins over Chicago. The Fire, on a five-game losing streak in league play, are losing steam fast in the playoff chase.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The opening goal showed vintage TFC attacking play, with numbers swarming the goalmouth until the ball was in the net.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: With a goal and an acrobatic assist, Giovinco had a productive night and TFC will be hoping for more of the same in the weeks to come.