Vancouver Whitecaps 4, Minnesota United 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Alphonso Davies set an MLS transfer record with the completion of his move to Bayern Munich on Wednesday, and on Saturday he reminded everyone of exactly why he's the most exciting young player in Major League Soccer.
The 17-year-old scored two goals, both of them worldies, and assisted on two more as the Vancouver Whitecaps outgunned Minnesota United 4-2 in a wild, defense-optional affair in front of an appreciative crowd eager to hail their team's teenage wunderkind.
Yordy Reyna opened the scoring with a twinkle-toed solo dribble and finish before Davies humbled the Loons defense with a slaloming run of his own, then set up Kei Kamara to cap a lightning-quick counterattack that had the 'Caps up 3-0 and cruising.
Minnesota made things interesting with a late rally as Ibson flicked home a corner-kick delivery at the near post and substitute Abu Danladi buried a lovely delivery from Darwin Quintero. But this was Fonzie's day, and Davies proved it by destroying the visitors' rearguard one more time to kill off the Loons' hopes of a shock equalizer.
- 35' – VAN – Jordy Reyna | WATCH
- 56' – VAN – Alphonso Davies | WATCH
- 64' – VAN – Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 82' – MIN – Ibson | WATCH
- 82' – MIN – Abu Danladi | WATCH
- 82' – VAN – Alphonso Davies | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: We can debate whether this game exposed MNUFC's true level after last week's strong homestand; what's not subjective is how pivotal Davies is to Vancouver's identity, and their 2018 hopes. The 'Caps have half a season left to make the most of their Homegrown gem's talents before he's off to Bavaria.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Davies' first goal was pure magic, a kid taking his beloved ball on a pleasant jaunt through the heart of the opposition's back line, and there would be no way back for Michael Boxall and his teammates:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: You guessed it. The fans came out to celebrate Alphonso Davies, and he gave them a dominating performance to savor.