Colorado Rapids 2, LA Galaxy 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Sam Nicholson's strong effort all night finally paid off near the end.
With the victory, the Rapids ended the Galaxy's nine-match undefeated streak and put an end to a five-game winless skid of their own.
The Galaxy missed a chance to take a late lead when Rapids goalie Tim Howard saved Alessandrini's shot on target in the 75th minute. Howard finished the night with three saves.
- 33' – LA – Romain Alessandrini | WATCH
- 50' – COL – Kellyn Acosta | WATCH
- 90' – COL – Sam Nicholson | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: To somehow get back into the playoff picture, Colorado need all the points they can get. This was a start, and a confidence-builder as they cooled off one of the league's hottest teams, outplaying the Galaxy throughout the match. For LA, ending a long undefeated streak via a comeback defeat to one of the West's bottom-dwellers is deflating; they'll get Zlatan Ibrahimovic back for their next match.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Rapids were rewarded for their good play throughout with Nicholson's winning goal, and the passes from Bismark Boateng and Castillo were on point.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The candidates: Acosta, Castillo, Nicholson. The honoree: Sam Nicholson, who was inches from a goal in the sixth minute if not for a tiny deflection by Ashley Cole, and who took six shots with three on target. He also was close to drawing a penalty kick with a run in the first half, but didn't get the call.