FC Dallas 1, San Jose Earthquakes 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The Quakes, in last in the Western Conference, sprung the surprise against first-place Dallas and ended their unbeaten run at home this season. San Jose's other two victories this season have come against Minnesota United.
The Earthquakes opened the scoring in the 19th minute, as Vako eluded Dallas goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez outside Dallas' box, then beat the tracking defenders to slot the ball into the net on a tight angle.
San Jose didn't give up, and another blunder from Gonzalez opened the door for a second Quakes goal, this one courtesy of Jahmir Hyka early in the second half.
The Quakes defended well for the rest of the half, and ensured the three points after Vako scored his second off a feed from Chris Wondolowski in the dying minutes.
- 19' – SJ – Valeri "Vako" Qazaishvili | Watch
- 23' – DAL – Roland Lamah | Watch
- 47' – SJ – Jahmir Hyka | Watch
- 88' – SJ – Valeri "Vako" Qazaishvili | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's the kind of result we see in MLS, with one team looking like they'll roll and the exact opposite happening. This was San Jose's best performance since opening day, and perhaps this is a result to give them some traction, finally, on their season. For Dallas, the immediate concern is the mistakes made by Gonzalez.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The opening goal by Vako set the tone for San Jose's performance and ability to get the job done.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The Quakes have been crying out for both a cohesive team performance and a star to lead the way this year, and Vako, with two opportunistic goals, filled the role to give the team and fanbase something to smile about.