New York City FC 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Hurtado, who came on for the start of the second half, latched onto Brek Shea's back-post cross and the unmarked forward hammered home his second goal of the season. The Whitecaps nearly took all three points when Shea’s well-struck free kick caromed off the crossbar moments later.
The Whitecaps (8-9-6) took the lead in the 22nd minute against the run of play as Nicolas Mezquida went on a rampaging run toward goal after winning the ball in midfield. With no one from NYCFC closing him down, the Uruguayan continued to attack the goal before firing low and inside the far post from 24 yards out for his second goal of the season.
Jesus Medina leveled for NYCFC (13-5-5) just before the break with his fourth goal in the last five games. Anton Tinnerholm hustled to keep the ball in play at the end line before serving the ball to Medina, who took a slick first touch with his left to separate from Brett Levis before finishing with his right.
- 22’ — VAN — Nicolas Mezquida | Watch
- 45+1 — NYC — Jesus Medina | Watch
- 46’ — NYC — Valentin Castellanos | Watch
- 87’ — VAN — Erik Hurtado | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: NYCFC paid for shocking defensive errors and squandered a chance to pick up ground on Supporters’ Shield leaders Atlanta United, while the Whitecaps moved within a point of the playoff line in the West by joining Atlanta as the only teams to earn a point at Yankee Stadium this season.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It’s all about this sweet equalizer by Hurtado.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Shea was a handful down the wing, and the ball he played on Hurtado’s equalizer was inch-perfect. And he was about an inch away from scoring the winner on a free kick.