DC United 3, Orlando City SC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
In a crucial match for two teams sitting below the playoff line in the Eastern Conference, D.C. United and Wayne Rooney were able to pull out a critical 3-2 win over Orlando City SC Sunday evening at Audi Field.
Luciano Acosta scored all three goals for United, with the third coming in dramatic fashion. United goalkeeper David Ousted went forward for a corner kick and after a ball was cleared off the line, Orlando midfielder Will Johnson was going forward with the ball on an empty net, but Rooney was not going to let his team lose. The English legend ran back and won the ball and played a long ball to Acosta, who outjumped Chris Mueller and headed the ball past Joe Bendik in the 96th minute.
Acosta's first goal came in first-half stoppage time after he linked up with Rooney for his second goal of the season. His second came in the 64th minute, 14 minutes after a deflection off of Steven Birnbaum caused David Ousted to put the ball into his own net.
In between the Ousted own goal and Acosta's second, Orlando midfielder Cristian Higuita was shown a red card after Video Review. The Colombian appeared to raise his elbow to Yamil Asad's face while running past him.
Down a man and a goal, it appeared Orlando's hopes of getting their second win in three months were slim. Luckily for Lions fans, Dom Dwyer was able to break United's offside trap, controlling an Oriol Rosell throughball and scooping it over Ousted in the 71st first minute to at least bring Orlando City level. Unfortunately for the Lions, though, that goal —and the result that would have come from it — failed to stand up.
- 45+4' — DC — Luciano Acosta | WATCH
- 50' — ORL — David Ousted (OG) | WATCH
- 64' — DC — Luciano Acosta | WATCH
- 71' — ORL — Dom Dwyer | WATCH
- 90+6' — DC — Luciano Acosta | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The win puts United back in the playoff picture, as they look to take advantage of a home-heavy schedule the rest of the way. Things probably can't get worse in Orlando, as they have lost 13 of 15.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Rooney's effort in the dying moments of the match was incredible. Tie-in the ball and the finish and this was an easy call.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Acosta not only scored three goals, but he made Orlando defenders look silly in moments and racked up four chances created.