Toronto FC 2, New York City FC 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Ismael Tajouri-Shradi struck for a brace, including the 88th-minute winner, to lift New York City FC to a 3-2 victory over a Toronto FC side that played almost the entire match with 10 men after Jozy Altidore was shown red in the 11th minute Sunday at BMO Field.
After missing seven games due to injury, David Villa made his triumphant return to the NYCFC lineup with the game’s first goal in the 15th minute. A mishit first-time strike by Anton Tinnerholm landed favorably on Villa’s foot and the NYCFC captain took a touch around Nick Hagglund before a low finish inside the far post.
Victor Vazquez equalized in the 51st minute, bravely heading among defenders to latch onto a Marky Delgado headed pass. It looked for a while the Reds would play to a second consecutive 2-2 draw, but Tajouri-Shradi sealed the road win two minutes from full-time with a thunderous left-footed strike.
- 15’ — NYC — David Villa | WATCH
- 27’ — TOR — Sebastian Giovinco | WATCH
- 36’ — NYC — Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- 51’ — TOR — Victor Vazquez | WATCH
- 88’ — NYC — Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: There were some stunning defensive miscues, but NYCFC snagged all three points to move within a point of Supporters’ Shield leading Atlanta United. The battle was there for Toronto FC, but there is no time left for moral victories and this loss will sting.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The game was altered in the 11th minute when Altidore was shown red for a rush of blood to the head, kicking Alex Callens after the two battled for a ball that rolled out of bounds. That left the Reds forced to play with 10 men for nearly 80 minutes.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Tajouri-Shradi loves to score goals in bunches, netting his third brace of the season, upping his total to 10 goals and he might well have bagged the AT&T Goal of the Week with his stunning late winner.