LA Galaxy 2, Colorado Rapids 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
For nearly an hour, the LA Galaxy and Colorado Rapids were gutting out a scoreless draw marked by injury and early subs — then the teams exploded for four goals in 23 minutes late in the match, with the Rapids countering two go-ahead Galaxy goals for a 2-2 draw at StubHub Center on Tuesday night.
While both teams had chances in the first half, an apparent goal from the Galaxy's Ola Kamara was waved off due to Ashley Cole being offside when sending in his would-be assist, and the first half finished scoreless.
Injuries dominated the match's early scoreline. Jonathan dos Santos suffered an apparent groin injury and had to be subbed off before the end of the first half. Another Galaxy starter, Michael Ciani experienced hamstring tightness and came off at halftime. The Rapids then lost Kellyn Acosta early in the second half due to apparent illness.
Scoring started in the 59th minute, when Cole weaved through the Rapids defense for the opener. Colorado matched left back for left back when Edgar Castillo hammered home the equalizer in the 74th minute. Then, three minutes later, Sebastian Lletget pounced for what would have been a crowd-satisfying game winner, had sub Niki Jackson not written himself into the script with the Rapids' second equalizer at the 82-minute mark.
- 59' – LA – Ashley Cole | WATCH
- 74' – COL – Edgar Castillo | WATCH
- 77' – LA – Sebastian Lletget | WATCH
- 82' – COL – Niki Jackson | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Though the Galaxy would have preferred all three points, especially against a team in the Rapids' position, the draw did allow them to pull even with the Timbers on points. Plus, they get to deal with a prime playoff position challenger this weekend when they trek up I-5 to face the hard-charging Sounders — perhaps a time for Zlatan Ibrahimovic to get his 500th goal in all club and country comps? (He's still on 498.) The Rapids, meanwhile, can take comfort in fighting for what ended up being only their fourth road result of the season.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Jackson equalizer certainly dampened the mood of Galaxy fans thinking they'd sealed up a home win, but it was a great moment for a young, developing forward and for a Rapids fan base who, at this point, will revel in a road draw on a Tuesday night.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Though Lletget's goal didn't stand up as the game-winner, it punctuated an encouraging match for a player who experienced a career-changing injury less than 18 months ago, has had quite the journey back, and may have a future as the 10 behind a two-forward formation. (Though, given that this match was a draw, there's also a case to be made for Castillo, with a goal and an assist highlighting an all-around solid performance.)