Vancouver Whitecaps 2, New York Red Bulls 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Daniel Royer smashed in his second brace in three games, one that included a stunning, 90th-minute equalizing volley to lift the 10-man New York Red Bulls to a 2-2 draw against the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday at BC Place.
Royer's equalizer came six minutes after the dismissal of Michael Murillo for a second bookable offense. It gives the Red Bulls the lead atop the Eastern Conference and Supporters' Shield standings, at least momentarily, on the games-won tiebreak over Atlanta United. Atlanta hosts Columbus Crew SC on Sunday (4 pm ET | TSN 2 — Full TV & streaming info).
Before Royer's heroics, Vancouver captain Kendall Waston bagged his own brace and looked to have lifted the Whitecaps to a crucial victory as they attempt to keep pace in their own Western Conference playoff battle. Instead, the draw ensures they will end the weekend in eighth in the West and at least a point beneath the playoff line.
- 5' - RBNY - Daniel Royer | Watch
- 42' - VAN - Kendall Waston | Watch
- 60' - VAN - Kendall Waston | Watch
- 90' - RBNY - Daniel Royer | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: While Atlanta may be favored to move back in front of the Red Bulls on Sunday, the sides currently sit even on exactly the same amount of matches played. Meanwhile, Vancouver are unbeaten in their last four, but still lose ground in their pursuit, falling behind the Seattle Sounders after their sixth consecutive win earlier Saturday.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: An expectant BC Place crowd became eerily quiet after this thunderous finish from Royer, set up by Tyler Adams' sublime service. It was his sixth MLS goal since July 21, and 10th on the season.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: On a night when Bradley Wright-Phillips and Alex Muyl were denied by exceptional stops from Stefan Marinovic, Royer made no mistake with either of his efforts on target. Despite a 2018 start that was both slow and unlucky, he's now two goals away from besting the 12 goals he scored in 2017, his first full MLS campaign.