Orlando City SC 1, Atlanta United FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Martinez's winner broke the record of goals scored in a single season, a 27-goal mark established in the league's debut season of 1996 and reached over the years by Roy Lassiter, Chris Wondolowski and Bradley Wright-Phillips.
Atlanta opened the scoring midway through the first half, as a free kick deflected off Orlando goalkeeper Joe Bendik, before Leandro Gonzalez Pirez followed up on the play to knock the ball into the net. Orlando answered shortly before halftime, as a beautiful interchange from Orlando City was blasted in by Scott Sutter, scoring his second goal of the season.
Orlando, who have won only once in their last 15 games and have never beaten Atlanta, played well for most of the game, and made Martinez work for his historic tally, but on a counterattack in the 74th minute the Venezuelan was off to the races and fooled Bendik with a deft chip as the duo came together.
- 21' – ATL – Leandro Gonzalez Pirez | WATCH
- 39' – ORL – Scott Sutter | WATCH
- 74' – ATL – Josef Martinez | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The lead here is the record, but Atlanta will be thrilled with the victory to help them maintain their lead atop the Supporters' Shield race. While Orlando experienced more disappointment, their performance was strong and Jonathan Spector's return gave the Lions a huge boost on the night.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: There's only one moment: The goal that broke the 22-year-old record.
2️⃣8️⃣ pic.twitter.com/8rZx3GFYpH— Major League Soccer (@MLS) August 25, 2018
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was an oft-difficult performance, but making history and scoring the winner with a flashy finish means Josef Martinez is the clear choice here.