San Jose Earthquakes 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Jahmir Hyka opened the scoring for San Jose just seven minutes in, as a poor clearance on Nick Lima's cross came right to the Albanian, who took the ball down with his chest and rifled the half-volley attempt into the net.
They doubled the lead just over 10 minutes later, as Danny Hoesen drew a foul just inside the box on Marcel de Jong. Initially called a foul outside the box, the foul became a penalty after Video Review, and Magnus Eriksson converted the penalty to give the Quakes an early two-goal lead.
The Whitecaps struggled to get a lifeline, but their fortune turned a tick before the hour mark, as Yordy Reyna's free kick from just outside the box went right through the Quakes' wall and beat Andrew Tarbell. Two minutes later, Cristian Techera tied up the match with a goal off the counterattack to completely change the complexion of the proceedings.
From there, they only got stronger, as Vancouver took the lead in the 68th minute, on another counterattack, with Reyna sending a low cross to Kei Kamara, the striker tapping in the shot to make it 3-2.
- 7' – SJ – Jahmir Hyka | WATCH
- 18' – SJ – Magnus Eriksson (PK) | WATCH
- 59' – VAN – Yordy Reyna | WATCH
- 61' – VAN – Cristian Techera | WATCH
- 68' – VAN – Kei Kamara | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Whitecaps needed three points to keep pace in the Western Conference playoff race, and they did it, putting pressure on Seattle, Portland and LA. They still have work to do, but they got the result. For the Quakes, it's yet another heartbreaking result in a season full of futility. Boos rained down at Avaya Stadium after the final whistle.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The winning goal capped off the nine-minute flurry by Vancouver to completely flip the result.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Reyna is often hot or cold, but with a goal and an assist, he was hot in the comeback effort and gets the nod here.