Columbus Crew SC 2, New York City FC 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Crew SC struck twice in a three-minute span to take all three points with Harrison Afful leveling in the 61st minute. The fullback followed his initial shot, which was blocked by Alex Ring, and beat a screened Sean Johnson from distance.
Two minutes later, Meram put Columbus (12-8-7) in front, leaping over Sebastien Ibeagha to latch onto a far-post corner kick and score what proved to be the winner.
NYCFC (14-7-6) took the lead in the 53rd minute on Ismael Tajouri-Shradi’s 11th goal of the season. Maxi Moralez picked up the ball in the defensive third and carried through midfield, slipping to Anton Tinnerholm on his right. The fullback ran at Lalas Abubakar and the ball deflected out to Tajouri-Shradi, who fired inside the far post.
- 53’ — NYC — Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- 61’ — CLB — Harrison Afful | WATCH
- 63’ — CLB — Justin Meram | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: NYCFC squandered an opportunity to make up ground after the New York Red Bulls lost in Montreal and lost for just the second time after scoring the first goal of the game. Meanwhile, Crew SC not only moved ahead of the surging Union, but also pulled within five points of third-place NYCFC in the standings.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: What a great hit by Harrison Afful, who curled in the equalizer eight minutes after Columbus conceded first.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Justin Meram looked like his old self, creating chances and ultimately scoring the winning goal from the wing, a position that, since his departure in the offseason, has been anemic in goals scored.