Toronto FC 2, Los Angeles Football Club 4 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Carlos Vela struck for an unusual brace, Diego Rossi and Lee Nguyen added goals early in the second half, and LAFC severely damaged Toronto FC's playoff hopes with a 4-2 victory at BMO Field on Saturday night.
LAFC ensured themselves of finishing the weekend in second place in the Western Conference with the victory, part of a 3-0-1 stretch over their last four. But with Montreal also winning on Saturday night, the Reds now sit nine points back of the playoff line with seven games to play.
Jozy Altidore had a second-half brace for TFC, which outshot LAFC 21-14 and forced Tyler Miller into five saves, including several of high quality. Victor Vazquez cleared a late fitness test to play, but then exited the game after 27 minutes with an apparent aggravation of a leg injury.
- 23' - LAFC - Carlos Vela | Watch
- 47' - LAFC - Diego Rossi | Watch
- 49' - LAFC - Lee Nguyen | Watch
- 74' - TOR - Jozy Altidore | Watch
- 90'+3' - TOR - Jozy Altidore | Watch
- 90'+4 - LAFC - Carlos Vela | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's hard to see how TFC get into the playoffs after dropping this one. Not only must they essentially make up three wins on Montreal, but they also missed a chance to jump above D.C. United on points and the New England Revolution on wins, two teams also still in the chase.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It might have been a different match entirely had Miller not reacted superbly to push Sebastian Giovinco's absurd, 15th-minute bicycle kick effort over the crossbar.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Vela. While Toronto supporters will wonder why his opener wasn't whistled for a handball, the Mexican international had a role in all four of LAFC's goals. He now has 11 goals and eight assists to his name in his inaugural MLS season.