Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1, FC Dallas 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
An unmarked Michael Barrios ran onto a Maxi Urruti corner kick at the near post and flicked it to the back post where Hedges slammed the ball home for FC Dallas (15-6-8), which moved back atop the Western Conference with the win.
Santiago Mosquera gave the visitors the lead late in the first half on another set piece played in by Urruti, putting his glancing header from inside the six-yard box inside the far post.
The Whitecaps (11-11-7) leveled in the 66th minute with Alphonso Davies beating three FC Dallas defenders to get off a cross that Kei Kamara met and powerfully headed past Jesse Gonzalez from the edge of the six-yard box.
- 42’ — DAL — Santiago Mosquera | WATCH
- 66’ — VAN — Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 87’ — DAL — Matt Hedges | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: In a Western Conference showdown between teams that needed three points — for different reasons — it was FC Dallas that claimed all of them, and moved back on top of the West. It was a devastating defeat for the Whitecaps, who did get a bit of a favor when the LA Galaxy defeated sixth-place Seattle, 3-0, Sunday at StubHub Center.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It’s the late winner by Hedges, who made no doubt about it, but where was the marking on either post for the Whitecaps?
- MAN OF THE MATCH: FC Dallas scored twice off set pieces and it was Urruti who started each sequence with quality service.