Chicago Fire 3, Los Angeles Football Club 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Mihailovic put Chicago (8-16-7) in front on 20 minutes, latching onto a Brandon Vincent cross and hitting a phenomenal full volley from just inside the 18-yard box for his first goal of the season.
Nine minutes later, Nemanja Nikolic stepped to the penalty spot after referee Chris Penso ruled Steven Beitashour knocked over Brandt Bronico inside the box. Nikolic forced LAFC goalkeeper Tyler Miller the wrong way with a low penalty to double the Fire’s lead.
Moments after coming off the substitute’s bench, Aleksandar Katai struck for his 12th goal of the season to extend the Fire’s lead to 3-0 in the 66th minute. Mihailovic laid the ball off to Katai to cap a devastating counter.
Diego Rossi pulled LAFC (14-8-8) back in the 73rd minute, taking a lobbed pass by Lee Nguyen off the bounce and slotting it inside the far post.
- 20’ — CHI — Djordje Mihailovic | WATCH
- 29’ — CHI — Nemanja Nikolic (PK) | WATCH
- 66’ — CHI — Aleksandar Katai | WATCH
- 73’ — LAFC — Diego Rossi | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Fire looked more like a team chasing playoff positioning than one that has already been eliminated with their second win in the last 13 games. That it came on short rest after a midweek loss at NYCFC is even more impressive. Conversely, LAFC damaged their chances of finishing in the top two in the West with their first defeat in seven games.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It didn’t decide the game, but this stunning golazo by Djordje Mihailovic certainly set the tone for the Fire.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Mihailovic has had a trying sophomore campaign with the Fire, missing most of the season to injury. But in his sixth game of the season, the 19-year-old old not only put his team in front with a banger, but also set up Aleksandar Katai for the goal that put LAFC away.