Montreal Impact 3, Columbus Crew SC 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Saphir Taider opened the scoring in the 32nd minute, placing his penalty kick to the left of Columbus goalkeeper Zack Steffen, who dived to his right. It came after it was determined following Video Review that Josh Williams handled Alejandro Silva’s cross in the box.
Taider then set up Silva, who turned and attacked the space, exploding to the edge of the 18-yard box where he put a low attempt inside the left post to double the Impact’s lead just before halftime.
It was Silva’s fifth goal of the season and fourth in the last eight games.
Ignacio Piatti capped a classic Impact counterattack and helped clinch a critical victory just before the hour mark, putting a low shot through Williams’ lead and inside the far post.
- 32’ — MTL — Saphir Taider (PK) | WATCH
- 44’ — MTL — Alejandro Silva | WATCH
- 59’ — MTL — Ignacio Piatti | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: What a bounce-back performance from the Impact, who extended their lead above the playoff line to five points ahead of D.C. United’s home match against the Chicago Fire Sunday (1 pm ET | ESPN, TSN - Full TV & Streaming info). The Crew, meanwhile, squandered a chance to clinch a spot in the Audi 2018 MLS Cup playoffs.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Columbus pushed back after a two-goal halftime deficit, but this goal by Ignacio Piatti on classic counter closed things out.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Evan Bush was quality and he deserves some props, but Saphir Taider was so influential in this much-needed win with a hand in all three goals.