DC United 3, New York City FC 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Rooney opened the scoring in the eighth minute, tapping in his team-leading 11th goal of the season after Luciano Acosta danced around three NYCFC defenders to the end line before cutting the ball back to Rooney for his 17th assist of the season.
Rooney then helped play provider to Acosta in the 24th minute, holding up a Paul Arriola across and drawing the attention of NYCFC defenders before the ball popped out to the Argentine playmaker, who curled in his 10th goal of the season.
The celebration was on in the 74th minute when Rooney converted a penalty kick after Alex Ring handled a ball in the box.
David Villa pulled NYCFC back a goal in the 78th minute, putting a low shot in off the far post for his 13th goal of the season, but it was too little, too late.
- 8’ — DC — Wayne Rooney | WATCH
- 24’ — DC — Luciano Acosta | WATCH
- 74’ — DC — Wayne Rooney (PK) | WATCH
- 78’ — NYC — David Villa | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: After just two wins in their first 14 games — playing 12 on the road — D.C. United have roared all the way back to book a playoff berth after a fifth straight win (the first time since 2007 they have done that) and nine straight without a loss. NYCFC, meanwhile, is trending the other way with just one win in their last nine games.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Luciano Acosta set the tone in a big way, slicing through the NYCFC backline on a run to the end line before setting up Rooney.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: He was brought in to be an impact player and Rooney was just that again on Sunday with a brace and a helper (even if it wasn’t officially an assist) on Acosta’s goal.