FC Dallas 0, Sporting Kansas City 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
With the win, Sporting moved up to first place in the Western Conference, vaulting over Dallas, as the Kansas City side won both of their games this week to put themselves in fantastic shape ahead of Decision Day next week.
Felipe Gutierrez drew a penalty on Matt Hedges in the 14th minute, and Sporting thought they were destined to take the lead from the spot, but Ilie Sanchez's penalty was saved by Jesse Gonzalez to keep the game scoreless.
Sporting did draw first blood just before halftime, as Gutierrez's initial shot was saved by Gonzalez, before Daniel Salloi pounced on the rebound, found space, and unleashed a shot that could not be stopped by Reggie Cannon on the goal line.
Sporting then doubled their lead shortly after the hour mark, as Roger Espinoza came up with the poke off a free kick deep in Dallas/ end. Then Johnny Russell scored a late penalty to seal the win for the visitors.
- 45' – SKC – Daniel Salloi | WATCH
- 64' – SKC – Roger Espinoza | WATCH
- 87' – SKC – Johnny Russell (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: After a tense 45 minutes, Sporting pulled away in the second half and made sure the decision wasn't in doubt. They'll be buzzing for Decision Day presented by AT&T, while Dallas have to be very disappointed that they were second best, at home, against a fellow Western Conference contender.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: While Gonzalez had a penalty save as well, Melia's PK stop arguably sealed the result for Sporting.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: A penalty save and five in total on the day, Melia sealed a clean sheet and helped Sporting play their way to the top of the West.