LAFC 2, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Though Diego Rossi collected two goals within the first 15 minutes for LAFC, they couldn't hold on to the early lead, settling for a 2-2 draw against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday afternoon at Banc of California Stadium.
Rossi got his first goal in the fifth minute, with Carlos Vela assisting on a goal involving multiple LAFC players. Less than 10 minutes later, he got on the end of a long Aaron Kovar cross to make it 2-0, and even had several chances to complete a first-half hat trick.
But the Whitecaps, needing a win with their playoff hopes on the line, wouldn't be easily put away. They got a crucial goal back on a Yordy Reyna penalty in the 22nd minute after Alphonso Davies drew a foul in the box. Then, in the 65th minute, Jordon Mutch, a second-half sub for Reyna, hit a long-distance screamer past Tyler Miller for the equalizer — which, despite frantic efforts to the contrary, closed out the scoring.
- 5' – LAFC – Diego Rossi | WATCH
- 15' – LAFC – Diego Rossi | WATCH
- 22'– VAN – Yordy Reyna (PK) | WATCH
- 65'– VAN – Jordon Mutch | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The result wasn't great for either team. LAFC was looking for a win to help them seal top two status in the West; now, they become part of an intriguing Decision Day narrative with Sporting Kansas City and FC Dallas. Vancouver needed to win to stay in the playoff hunt; they fell just one goal short in an impressive comeback.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Mutch's goal, impressive on its own, raised the stakes in the last half-hour of the match, giving LAFC fans frets and Whitecaps fans hope.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Despite Rossi not being able to follow up on his hot start with a third goal, he was impressive in starting with a brace, and looked like he might indeed deliver on a hat trick.