England 3, United States 0 | 2018 International Friendly Recap
Trent Alexander-Arnold added a second goal two minutes after Lingard's opener against the US, which likely playing its second-to-last match under interim coach Dave Sarachan.
Callum Wilson sealed it with a third he richly deserved in a second half during which the Americans drastically improved upon a ragged first, yet without results.
The visitors' best chance came shortly before Lingard's opener, when Christian Pulisic's persistence turned a broken play into a breakaway, only for Jordan Pickford come out quickly from his line and thwart the danger.
- 25' - ENG - Jesse Lingard | Watch
- 27' - ENG - Trent Alexander-Arnold | Watch
- 77' - ENG - Callum Wilson | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Effectively, there are five days remaining in the tenure of Sarachan pending the anticipated hire of a new coach. Sarachan has done an admirable job steadying the US ship in the aftermath of a World Cup Qualifying failure. A new coach is expected to be in place in time for the program's annual January camp. One certainty to be in the next manager's plans? Dortmund's Pulisic, who made his first appearance in a US shirt since May and had a scattering of promising moments.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Everyone's smartphone cameras were pulled out and turned on in the 58th minute, when D.C. United striker and England all-time leading goal scorer Wayne Rooney stepped onto the Wembley Stadium pitch for the last time. The 33-year-old made a more than respectable account of himself, nearly snagging one last international goal in the second minute of second-half stoppage time.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: At age 26, Wilson scored a first international goal that has been a lifetime in the making after a career that has included recoveries from ACL surgeries on both knees. He could've had two or three with slightly better finishing, but the Bournemouth man was England's most consistent threat, giving US center backs Matt Miazga and John Brooks fits.
- ENG: Sunday, November 18 vs. Croatia, UEFA Nations League (9 am ET)
- USA: Tuesday, November 20 vs. Italy, at Genk, Belgium (2:45 pm ET | FS1, UniMás, UDN)