FC Cincinnati 3, Portland Timbers 0 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Up 1-0, the Orange and Blue doubled their advantage in the 61st minute via midfielder Allan Cruz. The Costa Rican midfielder made a late run into the box, then sent home a cheeky backheel that caught Portland goalkeeper Jeff Attinella off guard.
To make matters worse, Portland center back Larrys Mabiala was sent off in the 70th minute after receiving a second yellow card. It was the second straight week they went down to 10 men.
- 15' – CIN – Kendall Waston | WATCH
- 61' – CIN – Allan Cruz | WATCH
- 63' – CIN – Mathieu Deplagne | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: FC Cincinnati has now earned points in back-to-back weeks against 2018 MLS Cup finalists. However, it was hard to ignore the absence of Diego Chara for Portland, who was suspended after receiving a red card last week vs. LAFC. Since 2016, the Timbers are now 0-6-13 without the Colombian midfielder. Comparatively, they have a 45-22-27 record with Chara in the XI across the same span.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The energy was palpable all week in the buildup to the Orange and Blue’s MLS home opener, and then Kendall Waston brought the house down. The towering center back headed Leonardo Bertone's free kick, causing pure elation from the capacity crowd of 32,500.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: While Kendall Waston's header will go down in the record books, the impact of Cincy midfielder Allan Cruz can't be understated. The Herediano product was buzzing around all afternoon and bagged his first-ever MLS goal. Not bad from the 23-year-old. Not bad at all.