Real Salt Lake 2, FC Dallas 4 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
RSL, down to 10 men after Damir Kreilach received a red card in the 17th minute for head-butting Gruezo, found a lifeline in the 31st minute. That’s when Jefferson Savarino clawed a goal back, curling home a right-footed shot from distance.
Making full use of the man advantage, Dallas sandwiched two more goals around a Marcelo Silva header in the 66th minute. One was a Pomykal game-winner off a deflection in the 64th minute, while the other came from Jesus Ferreira. The 18-year-old forward tapped home an insurance strike in the 69th minute off a cross from Michael Barrios.
- 1' – DAL – Carlos Gruezo | WATCH
- 31' – RSL – Jefferson Savarino | WATCH
- 32' – DAL – Paxton Pomykal | WATCH
- 64' – DAL – Paxton Pomykal | WATCH
- 66' – RSL – Marcelo Silva | WATCH
- 69' – DAL – Jesus Ferreira | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Some called this match the Homegrown Player derby in its buildup, and that followed through as a combined nine academy products started between Dallas and RSL. FCD's youth provided three of their four goals via Paxton Pomykal and Jesus Ferriera. Meanwhile, RSL lost for the third consecutive game.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: For the third straight match, the Claret-and-Cobalt received a red card. This go-around, Damir Kreilach head-butted Carlos Gruezo in the 17th minute, reducing the home side to 10 men. After scoring two goals with a depleted group, one can't help but wonder how RSL would have fared if they didn't dig themselves yet another hole.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Paxton Pomykal figures to play a big role on the U.S. U-20 World Cup team this May and June, especially after his starring role Saturday against RSL. The 19-year-old midfielder, in his fourth professional season, scored his first-ever MLS goal in the first half. He then added the game-winner in the second stanza, giving him two goals and an assist through five games.