Los Angeles Football Club 4, Seattle Sounders FC 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
In between Vela’s cool and collected finishes, Eduard Atuesta added one in the 39th minute as Roman Torres mysteriously attempted a half-hearted slide tackle in the box. Atuesta sidestepped the Panamanian and made no mistake.
The prettiest goal came in the 61st minute, though, as Christian Ramirez curled home LAFC’s fourth tally after some beautiful combination atop the 18-yard box.
Ahead of next weekend’s rematch back at CenturyLink Field, Seattle’s only lifeline came in the 51st minute as Harry Shipp rifled home. He capitalized on a slip by Jordan Harvey in the box, then picked out the far corner.
In the meantime, consider it a statement made by LAFC.
- 12' – Carlos Vela – LAFC | WATCH
- 39' – Eduard Atuesta – LAFC | WATCH
- 51' – Harry Shipp – SEA | WATCH
- 55' – Carlos Vela – LAFC | WATCH
- 61' – Christian Ramirez – LAFC | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: In a matchup that featured two high-rolling Western Conference sides, it was ultimately no contest. LAFC was dominant from start to finish, playing the fluid brand of soccer that head coach Bob Bradley preaches about. As for Seattle, missing the likes of forwards Will Bruin and Raul Ruidiaz, as well as center back Chad Marshall, was too much to overcome. It’s back to the drawing board ahead of next weekend’s rematch.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Christian Ramirez’s goal might not win Goal of the Week, but what a beautiful play it was. He back-heeled centrally, peeled off for a run behind the back line and gathered a through ball before curling home from close range. ’Twas the beautiful game at its finest.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: We’re giving this nod to two LAFC players after such a dominant performance, with both in the the heart of midfield. Eduard Atuesta and Mark-Anthony Kaye absolutely ran the show all night, combining for one goal and four assists. They were tempo-setters, disruptive forces, creators and finishers. In truth, there’s not much more you can ask for.
- LAFC: Sunday, April 28 at Seattle Sounders FC (3:30 pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- SEA: Wednesday, April 24 vs. San Jose Earthquakes (10:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)