Toronto FC 1, Portland Timbers 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Bill Tuiloma stole the show with an audacious strike in the 22nd minute, as he volleyed home a corner kick from just beyond the penalty-kick spot. That quickly brought the Timbers level after Jonathan Osorio bundled home a rebound off a Toronto corner kick, giving the hosts a temporary 1-0 lead in the 20th minute.
The game-winner arrived via Jeremy Ebobisse in the 70th minute, as he sent a diving header past Toronto goalkeeper Quentin Westberg. The American international went all out for a pinpoint cross from Sebastian Blanco.
In dropping their first home game of 2019, Toronto grew increasingly frustrated with wayward passes and few ideas clicking in the final third. As the home side threw numbers forward, Diego Chara could have put the game to bed in the 90th minute, but his breakaway shot trickled wide as Westberg did just enough.
- 20' – Jonathan Osorio – TFC | WATCH
- 22' – Bill Tuiloma – POR | WATCH
- 70' – Jeremy Ebobisse – POR | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: An 0-5-1 start to the year is now a thing of the past, as Portland won their second straight game against Eastern Conference opposition. Last year’s MLS Cup runners-up have surely turned a corner, with eight of 12 opening road games now completed. For Toronto, it’s hard to ignore the absence of Jozy Altidore to injury. The Reds were a step off in the final third, and Alejandro Pozuelo didn't register a goal or assist for the first time in his MLS career.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The world-class goal from Bill Tuiloma was a sight to behold. The Portland center back peeled off his mark on a corner kick, then volleyed home a right-footed bullet. Most strikers (never mind defenders) can’t pull that off, but the New Zealander did.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: With the game-winner, Jeremy Ebobisse gets the nod here. His 70th-minute header gave him four goals on the season, doubling up his previous season high. Portland is rumored to be bringing in a Designated Player forward, but the 22-year-old is reminding folks that he, too, can be productive.