Houston Dynamo 2, FC Dallas 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
The Dynamo (6-1-1) remained undefeated in MLS play at BBVA Compass Stadium, their streak reaching six games without a loss at home.
Manotas converted a penalty right at the 20-minute mark after Alberth Elis drew a foul in the box. His fifth goal of the season came in the 58th minute, when he put in a cross from Memo Rodriguez on the run.
Dallas pulled one back in the 87th minute with substitute Dominique Badji sending home Michael Barrios' cross, but were turned away in the final minute when an apparent goal was nullified from Santiago Mosquera off a set piece.
FCD had a chance to draw even at 1 in the 42nd minute, but Dynamo goalkeeper Joe Willis stopped two shots in succession. He deflected Barrios' shot from distance, and stopped Jesus Ferreira's rebound attempt to keep Houston in front.
Willis later came up huge in the 51st minute with an athletic save of Bryan Acosta's line drive shot toward the corner.
FC Dallas (5-3-2) saw their three-game unbeaten streak come to an end. All three of their losses have been on the road.
- 20' – HOU – Mauro Manotas (PK) | WATCH
- 58' – HOU – Mauro Manotas | WATCH
- 87 – DAL – Dominique Badji | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Houston will have a chance to continue to take advantage of a schedule front-loaded with home games. Three of their next five matches will be at home. FC Dallas gets to return home to Toyota Stadium next week, where they are undefeated in five matches. Both teams continue to look like contenders in the Western Conference.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: FC Dallas looked like they had achieved a draw just before the final whistle. But this goal was taken away on an offside call against Mosquera.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Willis had five saves, but Manotas was the man with his two goals. The PK wasn't high quality, but it was strong enough to get through Jesse Gonzalez's hands, and Manotas teamed well with Elis on the attack.