FC Dallas 2, Seattle Sounders 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
The game was delayed an hour and 47 minutes due to storms and lightning in the vicinity of Toyota Stadium. Dallas entered the match winless in their last six games, while Seattle were coming off their first loss in seven matches.
Dallas took the lead in the 33rd minute, as Michael Barrios' cross was headed towards goal by Ryan Hollingshead and deflected off new Sounders defender Xavier Arreaga as he attempted to clear it, resulting in an own goal in the Ecuadorian's first MLS start. Five minutes later, Dallas scored on another Sounders own goal, this time off a free kick with Seattle's Brad Smith turning the ball in his own net.
But the Sounders regrouped at halftime and Raul Ruidiaz hit a deflected strike just outside the 18-yard box to cut the visitors' deficit to one in the 65th minute. In spite of that, Dallas held firm and collected a much-needed three points.
- 33' – DAL – Xavier Arreaga (OG) | WATCH
- 38' – DAL – Brad Smith (OG) | WATCH
- 65' – SEA – Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Dallas were perhaps a bit fortunate to have two own goals make the difference in their favor, but they were the stronger side overall on the night and kept the Sounders at bay. Seattle will be disappointed to lose a second straight game, but with Arreaga finding his footing in MLS and Joevin Jones making his return, they can chalk the result up to it being an unusual game.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The game was rather sluggish until the goals began with Arreaga's own goal, and then it picked up speed.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Michael Barrios didn't technically get on the scoresheet, but the FC Dallas winger set up both own goals and that was the difference on the night.