New York City FC 5, FC Cincinnati 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Ismael Tajouri-Shradi and Alexandru Mitrita also scored for the Cityzens despite making it harder on themselves. The hosts conceded two own goals — including one from Heber — in what was otherwise easily their best 90 minutes at Yankee Stadium this season.
In the process, NYCFC stretched its club-record unbeaten run to 10 matches and moved within a point of the fifth-place New York Red Bulls in the Eastern Conference table. They also became the first team in MLS history to win a match in which they twice put the ball into their own net and emerged with a victory.
After winning their first match under interim coach Yoann Damet, Cincinnati have now lost four straight to continue solidifying their spot at the foot of the East table. They've been outscored 15-4 during that stretch.
- 11' - NYC - Alexandru Mitrita | WATCH
- 17' - NYC - Heber | WATCH
- 29' - NYC - Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- 37' - CIN - Heber (OG) | WATCH
- 49' - NYC - Heber | WATCH
- 76' - CIN - Sebastien Ibeagha (OG) | WATCH
- 90' - NYC - Maxi Moralez | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The scoreline was a bit harsh on the visitors, who had their share of chances especially before halftime. Fanendo Adi in particular should've done better with a couple, but that's been the way of his still scoreless season. As for NYCFC, it will be some relief to finally produce a convincing and comfortable win in front of their home fans after drawing four of their first five at Yankee Stadium this season.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Perhaps wanting to make ammends for giving a goal back to the visitors, Heber teamed up with Moralez to produce a stylish second goal (on the right end of the field).
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Maxi Moralez. As good as Heber was, Moralez was even better. He had three assists, saving his best for Heber's second goal of the evening. Then he added a deserved goal himself in the dying moments, picking Cincy's weary defense apart inside the penalty area before slotting his finish inside the far right post.
- NYC: Wednesday, June 12 vs. North Carolina FC, U.S. Open Cup 4th Rd (7 pm ET | ESPN+ in the US)
- CIN: Wednesday, June 12 vs. Louiisville City FC, U.S. Open Cup 4th Rd (7:30 pm ET | ESPN+ in the US)