Toronto FC 2, Sporting Kansas City 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Sporting Kansas City thought they had three points, but Toronto FC had other plans, as a stoppage-time Jordan Hamilton equalizer gave the teams a 2-2 draw at BMO Field as part of MLS Friday Night on TSN.
Both teams, struggling in recent weeks to get wins, were looking to enter the upcoming break in league play for the Concacaf Gold Cup on a positive. In the end, not much separated the teams on the night, as TFC came back twice to split the points.
But that goal was largely against the run of play, as Toronto battered Sporting's goal, and Tim Melia had to make a number of stops, before Nick DeLeon scored off a tap-in from Justin Morrow's low cross just before halftime to tie it up.
Sporting earned another penalty in the second half, this time drawn by Gutierrez on DeLeon. The Chilean stepped up and buried his second spot kick of the night to make it 2-1.
But Toronto had the final word, as substitute Hamilton buried another cross to tie up the game and split the points.
- 25' – SKC – Felipe Gutierrez (PK) | WATCH
- 43' – TOR – Nick DeLeon | WATCH
- 73' – SKC – Felipe Gutierrez (PK) | WATCH
- 90+5' – TOR – Jordan Hamilton
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams needed a win and they came up short. This was a solid game, between two teams missing several key players and struggling of late, but they're lacking the killer edge, and in the end that was decisive in the game. Whether that proves decisive for the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs race remains to be seen.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Both penalties will be a talking point coming out of the match, but the second one, leading to the winner, is sure to provoke discussion.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: With the game being a back-and-forth affair, it's a tough call, but the nod goes to Gutierrez, for drawing a penalty and scoring two to help SKC get a point on the road and inch closer to the playoff line.