Minnesota United 4, Sporting Kansas City FC 1 | 2019 US Open Cup Recap
It took their four tries but Minnesota United have finally gotten past Sporting Kansas City in the U.S. Open Cup. The Loons decisively defeated Sporting 4-1 to advance to the Round of 16, behind dominant performances from Darwin Quintero and Angelo Rodriguez.
Quintero, who hadn't scored or assisted in his last nine MLS games, had two goals and an assist while Rodriguez had a goal and two assists.
Level at halftime, the Loons ran rampant in the second half. Ethan Finlay put Minnesota up in the 46th minute and MNUFC didn't look back. Quintero scored both goals of his brace, with Rodriguez assisting both.
Rodriguez got the Loons off to a dream start, cooling finishing a breakaway between Adrian Zendejas' legs in the second minute. Gerso Fernandes equalized for Sporting in the 27th minute, smashing a half volley into the ground that skipped into the corner.
- 2' – MIN – Angelo Rodriguez | WATCH
- 27' – SKC – Gerso Fernandes | WATCH
- 46' – MIN – Ethan Finlay | WATCH
- 55' – MIN – Darwin Quintero | WATCH
- 67' – MIN – Darwin Quintero | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Loons finally got the better of Sporting in the Open Cup! Minnesota are moving on and will hope that Rodriguez and Quintero continue the form they showed on Wednesday night.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: What a classic Quintero golazo.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Darwin Quintero back? He had gone nine games without a goal or assist in MLS play, then popped up with two goals and an assist against Sporting.
- MNUFC: June 18-23, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- SKC: Sun., June 23 at Columbus Crew (5:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in Canada)