New York City FC 4, North Carolina FC 0 | 2019 US Open Cup Recap
For the first time in club history, New York City FC have advanced past the fourth round of the US Open Cup. NYCFC defeated North Carolina FC 4-0.
After knocking on the door right from the opening whistle, NYCFC got their breakthrough in the 25th minute, courtesy an own goal from NCFC's Aaron Guillen. Before half time NYCFC doubled their lead, as Jesus Medina got his first goal of 2019 by finishing a wonderful bending cross from Tony Rocha.
Keaton Parks extended the lead in the second half with a header from close range, then finished a breakaway to complete his brace in the second half.
- 25' – NYC – Aaron Guillen (OG) | WATCH
- 45+2' – NYC – Jesus Medina | WATCH
- 52' – NYC – Keaton Parks | WATCH
- 76' – NYC – Keaton Parks | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: For a team as deep as NYCFC, the Open Cup was a great time to give real minutes to Parks, Medina, Haak, Torres and others. It went as well as possible, as not only did the players get minutes but all turned in solid performances. Will they start again next round?
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It's not a highlight that'll be on loop, but, the first goal is what opened the floodgates. NYCFC didn't have to start worrying if a goal would come and didn't let NCFC roll momentum towards final whistle for a cupset.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Parks finally got his first start and put in a performance to remind fans why he was such a highly touted loan signing from Benfica.
- NYCFC: June 18-23, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- NCFC: Sat., June 15 vs. Swope Park Rangers (5 pm ET)