DC United 1, New York City FC 2 | 2019 US Open Cup Recap
They had to come from behind at Audi Field. Wayne Rooney opened the scoring in the 32nd minute, a calm two-touch finish after being sent in behind with a defender on his hip. NYCFC, who had already been the better side until the goal, then took control.
Keaton Parks, earning his second straight start, played Alexandru Mitrita in on a breakaway and the Romanian made no mistakes, rolling the ball into the net. Just three minutes later, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi went on a solo run from just over midfield into the 18-yard box before slotting into the bottom corner.
It wasn't all positive for NYCFC, though. Forward Heber was forced to exit in the 48th minute with an apparent injury.
- 32' – DC – Wayne Rooney | WATCH
- 38' – NYC – Alexandru Mitrita | WATCH
- 41' – NYC – Ismael Tajouri-Shradi | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: How about a cup run for the first time in NYCFC's young history?! The club are into uncharted territory by advancing to the quarterfinals, looking to pick up their first trophy.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Tajouri-Shradi took full advantage of a lack of defensive pressure to score the game-winner, gliding forward before finding the back of the net.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Dangerous every time he touched the ball, Mitrita may be disappointed that he didn't score more than just one.
- NYCFC: Sat., June 29 vs. Philadelphia Union (7 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in US)
- D.C.: Wed., June 26 vs. Orlando City SC (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in US)