Honduras 4, El Salvador 0 | 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Match Recap
Jorge Alvarez opened a four-goal onslaught, FC Dallas' Bryan Acosta also scored, and already-eliminated Honduras knocked El Salvador out of the Concacaf Gold Cup with a 4-0 victory at Banc of California Stadium on Tuesday night.
Rubilio Castillo and Emilio Izaguirre also added goals for Los Catrachos, whose victory sent Curacao through to the quarterfinals after their last-gasp 1-1 draw against Jamaica earlier Tuesday in the final matchday of Group C.
Even on four points each, Curacao advanced via the first tiebreak of goal differential, which was three better than Los Cuscatlecos'.
A victory would've seen El Salvador win a Gold Cup group for the first time in their history. Instead, after going 238 minutes without conceding a goal in the tournament, they allowed four in the final 32.
- 59' - HON - Jorge Alvarez | WATCH
- 65' - HON - Rubilio Castillo | WATCH
- 75' - HON - Bryan Acosta | WATCH
- 90' - HON - Emilio Izaguirre | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Honduras may have had little to play for in terms of the tournament other than dealing a blow to their longtime rival, but it was a badly needed victory nonetheless. After losing a two-leg World Cup qualifying playoff to Australia in late 2017, Los Catrachos did not play a single game in 2018 and had failed to win in their previous five matches in 2019 between friendlies and Gold Cup competition.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Even trailing 2-0, El Salvador only needed one goal to edge out Curacao on the third tiebreak of head-to-head points earned. Acosta's goal, set up by a dime of a diagonal ball from the Houston Dynamo's Maynor Figueroa, erased that possibility for all intents and purposes, and set off wild celebrations in the Curacao team box.
ACOSTA MAKES IT THREE 🇭🇳— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 26, 2019
That pass by Figueroa to set it up 👌👌👌 pic.twitter.com/we0ACPNO1s
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jorge Alvarez. In the end Honduras' victory had many contributors. But it took an individual moment of brilliance from the CD Olimpia midfielder to unleash an onslaught after what had been a cagey opening hour.
- HON: Eliminated from Gold Cup
- SLV: Eliminated from Gold Cup