FC Dallas 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Lucas Venuto's strike from distance three minutes into second half stoppage time lifted the visiting Vancouver Whitecaps to a hard-earned 2-2 draw against FC Dallas on Wednesday night at Toyota Stadium.
It extended Vancouver's unbeaten run to six matches (1W, 5D), and pulled them even on points with seventh-place Real Salt Lake, who hold the first tiebreaker with total wins. San Jose, which could've jumped above both clubs and the playoff line with a win, played later Wednesday.
Jesus Ferreira scored his fifth goal of the season and Ryan Hollingshead also found the net earlier in the second half for the hosts, who moved even with third-place Seattle on points but trail on goal differential.
- 55' - DAL - Jesus Ferreira | WATCH
- 59' - DAL - Ryan Hollingshead | WATCH
- 81' - VAN - Yordy Reyna | WATCH
- 90'+4' - VAN - Lucas Venuto | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Despite losing two points late, Dallas have still gone unbeaten in June to steady the ship after a winless May. Their last match of the month may be their toughest — a first trip to the Portland's expanded Providence Park. Vancouver, meanwhile, need to simply survive as they continue a brutal three-game road trip at Seattle on Saturday and LAFC in Week 18.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Yes, Gonzalez should've done better. But in terms of dramatic and emphatic equalizers, Venuto's rip is hard to top.
- MAN OF THE MATCH. Yordy Reyna. Athough Venuto had the equalizer and an assist, Reyna might've had more than that with better finishing from his teammates — particularly an uncharacteristically wasteful Fredy Montero. Still, when the match was starting to feel lost, he gave his side life with this composted curler: