New York Red Bulls 3, Chicago Fire 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
New York got an early lead off a howler from Fire keeper Kenneth Kronholm, who misplayed a pass back straight into the path of Kaku for a tap-in in the 8th minute. Chicago spent much of the next hour in the Red Bulls' half, but couldn't find an equalizer.
Przemyslaw Frankowski's skewed cross deflected off the crossbar and post, while Luis Robles stood tall on numerous occasions to deny the Fire, including robbing an effort from Aleksandar Katai destined for the top corner.
In the 59th minute, the Red Bulls hit Chicago on the counter, culminating with a tap-in for Brian White, his fifth goal of the season. In the 82nd minute the Fire got a goal back, as Nemanja Nikolic tapped home after Katai hit the post. Daniel Royer added a game-clinching goal deep into stoppage time.
- 8’ — RBNY — Kaku | WATCH
- 59’ — RBNY — Brian White | WATCH
- 82’ — CHI — Nemanja Nikolic | WATCH
- 90+3’ — RBNY — Daniel Royer | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was one of those days for the Fire. Again, Chicago seemed to dominate play but didn't get the three points to show for it. They outshot the Red Bulls 26-10 and out-possessed them 63%-37%.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Holding onto their 1-0 lead, the Red Bulls were under siege for long before a cutting counterattack gave them an insurance goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Though he didn't keep a clean sheet, Luis Robles had a strong game for New York, with seven saves, including a few highlight-worthy stops.
- RBNY: Wednesday, July 3 at Houston Dynamo (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)
- CHI: Wednesday, July 3 vs. Atlanta United (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)