United States 1, Curacao 0 | 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Match Recap
Weston McKennie headed in Christian Pulisic's cross in the 25th minute, and the US national team held on for a 1-0 victory over a resolute Curacao squad in the Concacaf Gold Cup quarterfinals on Sunday evening at Lincoln Financial Field.
The US advances to face Jamaica for a third time in as many Gold Cup knockout phases, after Jamaica also defeated Panama 1-0 earlier on Sunday. The Americans lost to Jamaica in the 2015 semifinals 2-1, then defeated them by the same score in the 2017 final.
Jamaica also defeated the US 1-0 in a Gold Cup tuneup friendly on June 5.
Curacao exits the tournament despite leading the US 15-10 in shots and 5-3 in efforts on target, while also slightly edging possession.
- 25' - USA - Weston McKennie | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: This certainly wasn't as convincing a victory as many American fans would expect against a side that had never previously reached the Gold Cup knockout phase. The most interesting impact may be how many changes Berhalter with the shortest turnaround of the tournament. As for Curacao, they should leave the tournament exceedingly proud of their final performance, which on another day might've seen them advance even further.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: With respect to McKennie's early goal, it was an exceptional save from goalkeeper Zack Steffen that may have been the most important play of the evening, preventing Curacao from adding to their record of late heroics from distance at this tournament.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Christian Pulisic. While other US attackers faded in and out, the Chelsea-bound 20-year-old was the only consistent American threat going. He did all of the heavy lifting to set up McKennie's goal, and twice went on solo runs that nearly resulted in a goal of his own.
- USA: Wednesday, July 3 vs. Jamaica, Gold Cup semifinals (9 pm ET | FS1, Univision, UDN)
- CUW: Eliminated from Gold Cup