New York City FC 3, Seattle Sounders 0 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
New York City FC turned on the style in the second half to post a 3-0 home win over the Seattle Sounders Wednesday at Yankee Stadium to run their unbeaten streak to 14 games in all competitions (9W-0L-5D).
NYCFC broke through in the 58th minute when Moralez and Medina exchanged passes in the penalty area, and after the ball deflected back to Moralez, his right-footed effort beat Stefan Frei with a deflection off of Jordy Delem. Moralez has posted a goal or an assist in seven straight games, now the longest streak in MLS this season, totaling 6 goals and 8 assists during that stretch.
Medina then got his first goal of the season in the 77th minute, arriving to slam home a low drive from Valentin Castellanos after an end-to-end counterattack.
Delem hit the crossbar in the 85th minute from a corner kick, but Seattle never broke through against Brad Stuver, who posted his first MLS shutout in his seventh career game. Second-half sub Ofori added a sizzling left-footed strike from more than 30 yards to provide the final margin.
- 58' – NYC – Maxi Moralez | WATCH
- 77' – NYC – Jesus Medina | WATCH
- 87' – NYC – Ebenezer Ofori | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Cityzens continue to roll, even after a first half that left manager Dome Torrent fuming. Having lost just once all season, they lead the Eastern Conference in points per game and rank second only to LAFC across MLS. Seattle have lost four of five and cannot wait to get their whole group back together to prepare for what they hope will be their customary second-half surge.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Seattle had chances to go ahead in the first half, with a Justin Dhillon tally ruled out for offside and Kim Kee-hee heading high from a free kick. But the play that allowed NYCFC to take over in the second half was Stuver's kick save on Nouhou in the 32nd minute following an excellent feed from Harry Shipp.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Maxi Moralez. Always class, he is putting together the best of his three standout seasons in MLS.