FC Cincinnati 3, Houston Dynamo 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Kekuta Manneh scored his third goal of the season and Rashawn Dally added the first of his pro career. But it was ultimately Victor Ulloa's goal — which owed to an embarrassing error by goalkeeper Joe Willis — that lifted FC Cincinnati to a 3-2 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night at Nippert Stadium.
When Ulloa's tame effort slipped through Willis' hands on its way across the goal line, it appeared to be a mere insurance goal in a Cincy rout. But Romell Quioto converted a penalty before Nick Hagglund conceded an own goal with Alberth Elis lurking to make for a tight final 10 minutes.
Hagglund made ammends with a late clearance to help Cincinnati preserve a once-comfortable victory, and Spencer Richey survived an incidental boot to the face from Elis to make a pair of stoppage-time interventions.
- 29' - CIN - Kekuta Manneh | WATCH
- 38' - CIN - Rashawn Dally | WATCH
- 61' - CIN - Victor Ulloa | WATCH
- 79' - HOU - Romell Quioto (PK) | WATCH
- 81' - HOU - Nick Hagglund (OG) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Perhaps Cincinnati have already lost a realistic shot at the MLS Cup Playoffs, but nevertheless this was a direly needed victory to snap a six-match losing streak and boost morale. They've still lost 12 of their last 14. Meanwhile, Houston's road struggles continue with a seventh loss in eight games.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Ulloa's stunning goal through Willis' legs looked inconsequential at the time, but in the end it proved to be the match-winner.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Emmanuel Ledesma. The Argentine helped set up Cincinnati's first and third goals, and was generally a consistent link in the middle of a Cincy attack that scored three goals for the first time since their MLS home opener back on March 17.