Atlanta United 3, New York Red Bulls 3 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Bradley Wright-Phillips scored in the dying moments to quickly answer the latter goal of Josef Martinez's brace, and the New York Red Bulls and Atlanta United settled for a 3-3 draw before yet another massive crowd at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Back from Copa America duty with Venezuela, Martinez is now up to 12 goals for the season after a slow start, putting up a brace in each of his last three MLS starts. Meanwhile, it was only the second of the season for Wright-Phillips, who entered Sunday as a 77th-minute substitute.
- 10' - ATL - Justin Meram | WATCH
- 37' - RBNY - Daniel Royer | WATCH
- 60' - RBNY - Brian White | WATCH
- 79' - ATL - Josef Martinez (PK) | WATCH
- 90'+1' - ATL - Josef Martinez | WATCH
- 90'+3 - RBNY - Bradley Wright-Phillips | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: he Red Bulls continue to remain unbeaten in the regular season against Atlanta, this time in the most probably of ways amid the most adverse of travel conditions. They're now 4-0-2 in six all-time MLS league meetings. Meanwhile, Frank de Boer continues to lift Pity Martinez early, doing so this time after 63 minutes and seeing a marked improvement from his side in response.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Wright-Phillips may not be in the form MLS fans are used to seeing, but he's made a living out of scoring crucial goals for the Red Bulls that seem to come almost from nothing. His last-gasp equalizer Sunday was no different, taking Cristian Casseres Jr.'s cross and making absolutely no mistake.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Josef Martinez: The striker created his own penalty, inducing Kyle Duncan into the foul, and later ferociously won a perfectly placed header that briefly appeared it would give Atlanta all three points.
- ATL: Wednesday, July 10 vs. St. Louis FC, U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals (7:30 pm ET | ESPN+ in the US)
- RBNY: Sunday, July 14 vs. New York City FC (6:30 pm ET | FS1, TSN1, Fox Deportes)