Minnesota United FC 6, New Mexico United 1 | 2019 US Open Cup Match Recap
Another cupset was not on the cards for New Mexico United, who were eliminated in the quarterfinals of the US Open Cup at the hands of Minnesota United 6-1 at Allianz Field.
The night got off to the perfect start for NMU, taking the lead in the 7th minute through Santi Moar. It wouldn't last, as the Loons scored the first of their six unanswered goals just three minutes later. By halftime, Minnesota would be up 5-1.
Angelo Rodriguez netted a hat trick, including a low finish from 18-yards into the bottom corner. Darwin Quintero scored -- a rebound from Rodriguez's shot -- while Jan Gregus added a goal from a free kick and Miguel Ibarra got his first goal at the Loons new home.
Minnesota United have now scored 26 goals in their last six games across all competitions.
- 7' – NMU – Santi Moar | WATCH
- 10' – MIN – Angelo Rodriguez | WATCH
- 16' – MIN – Darwin Quintero | WATCH
- 18' – MIN – Angelo Rodriguez | WATCH
- 23' – MIN – Jan Gregus | WATCH
- 45' – MIN – Angelo Rodriguez | WATCH
- 62' – MIN – Miguel Ibarra | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Minnesota United have now won six games in a row and are marching onto the semifinals of the Open Cup. Sitting fourth in the Western Conference as well, it just might be a special year for the Loons.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: There were plenty of goals to choose from, but, Ibarra's first at Allianz Field was both a great moment and a nice piece of skill.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Hat trick hero Angelo Rodriguez couldn't be contained by the NMU defense.
- MIN: Sat., July 13 vs. FC Dallas (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, DAZN in Canada)
- NMU: Sat., July 13 at Fresno FC (10:30 pm ET | USL Championship)