LA Galaxy 1, San Jose Earthquakes 3 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
The win, coming two weeks after the teams' first rivalry game of the season, a 3-0 win for San Jose at Stanford Stadium, gave the Quakes a regular-season sweep in the California Clasico.
The Galaxy got on the board early, as Rolf Feltscher acrobatically poked in a corner kick less than two minutes in to give his team the lead. But from there, it was nearly all San Jose, as they racked up a staggering edge in shots, 22 to 2, until Vako scored the 1-1 equalizer with a low shot from distance that nestled inside the post right after the hour mark.
Vako also had a hand in the go-ahead goals. He set up second-half sub Danny Hoesen, who made it 2-1 just two minutes after entering the match. And with five minutes remaining, a shot by Vako was saved by the 'keeper and the ball fell to teammate Jackson Yueill who buried the late insurance goal to round out the scoring in a decisive victory.
- 2' – LA – Rolf Feltscher | WATCH
- 61' – SJ – Vako | WATCH
- 64' – SJ – Danny Hoesen | WATCH
- 85' – SJ – Jackson Yueill | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Galaxy stay in 2nd place in the West (for now), but the Quakes vault up the standings to 4th, pending the outcome of the other games in Week 19. There's no question San Jose are one of the hottest teams in MLS right now and an opponent no team wants to face.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: With the Galaxy holding firm under a barrage of Earthquakes shots, Vako's equalizer was the strike that opened the floodgates.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: David Bingham was immense in the loss, notching a staggering 14 saves. But Vako's influence, with a goal, an assist, and setting up San Jose's third goal, was ultimately decisive and he gets the nod.