Chicago Fire 2, Columbus Crew SC 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
A 90th minute equalizer from new acquisition Romario Williams, assisted by young Designated Player Luis Diaz, earned the Crew a 2-2 at SeatGeek Stadium against the Fire. Both players were making their debuts.
Djordje Mihailovic opened the scoring for the Fire on his return to the starting XI from the Gold Cup, a thumping volley into the bottom corner from the top of the 18. It was his third goal of the season.
Gyasi Zardes, also recently back from the Gold Cup, found himself on the scoresheet. Smart movement to outfox Bastian Schweinsteiger left the USMNT forward a first-time finish at the near post. CJ Sapong re-established the Fire's advantage in the second half until Williams leveled.
The Fire have now slipped six points below the playoff line and have just one win in their last 10 matches.
- 28' - CHI - Djordje Mihailovic | WATCH
- 47' - CLB - Gyasi Zardes | WATCH
- 63' - CHI - CJ Sapong | WATCH
- 90' - CLB - Romario Williams | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams trending in the wrong direction, the Fire and Crew will each have to settle for a point. Chicago, at home, will be the more disappointed of the two, especially after falling to FC Cincinnati at home on the weekend.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Mihailovic's goal is one to watch on repeat. He doesn't half mind a volley, does he?
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Controlling the midfield, Dax McCarty was up to his usual stellar play in the center of the park.
- CHI: Saturday, July 20 at Philadelphia Union (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US and on DAZN in Canada)
- CLB: Saturday, July 20 vs Montreal Impact (7:30 pm ET | TVAS in Canada, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US)