FC Cincinnati 1, DC United 4 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Lucas Rodriguez scored his first MLS brace, Wayne Rooney added his team-leading 11th goal of the season and D.C. United overcame an unlucky penalty-kick decision to cruise to a 4-1 victory over FC Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium on Thursday night.
It all amounted to a crucial second win in their last 10 matches for D.C., who despite their recent slump moved back into second place in the Eastern Conference, a point behind the Philadelphia Union.
Kendall Waston hit the woodwork early for Cincinnati, but otherwise the hosts were relatively unthreatening from the run of play while seeing their modest two-game win streak snapped.
- 42' - DC - Lucas Rodriguez | WATCH
- 54' - CIN - Emmanuel Ledesma (PK) | WATCH
- 59' - DC - Lucas Rodriguez | WATCH
- 64' - DC - Wayne Rooney | WATCH
- 73' - DC - Paul Arriola | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: D.C.'s straightforward victory came despite the absences of playmaker Luciano Acosta (suspension) and goalkeeper Bill Hamid (coach's decision). With a quick turnaround trip to Atlanta looming, that those men were missing may have been a blessing in disguise, allowing Olsen to inject some freshness into his squad at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sunday.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Yes, yes, Wayne Rooney scored another goal. But check out the delicious ball from right back Leo Jara.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Lucas Rodriguez. It wasn't so much the brace, as the absolutely crucial timing for a D.C. side that needed someone to contribute with Acosta and Hamid out.