New York Red Bulls 2, Columbus Crew SC 3 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Brian White got the hosts on the board early, rising highest in a crowd to head home his eighth goal of the season. But the Crew struck back before the celebratory smoke had even cleared, as Queens native Luis Argudo ran on to a canny backwards header from Gyasi Zardes and blasted the equalizer past Luis Robles less than a minute later.
Columbus stunned the home crowd by seizing the lead in the opening minute of the second half, Santos firing into the roof of Robles' net at the near post after another quick counterattack not unlike the one that set up their first goal.
RBNY hauled themselves level with the help of a Video Review decision that caught Argudo's tug on Daniel Royer as he leaped to head a corner kick, and Royer stepped up to rifle the penalty kick past Eloy Room, just the second spot kick of the year in league play for the Red Bulls.
But Santos wreaked havoc yet again six minutes from full time, ghosting into the RBNY box to coolly finish the rebound after Robles saved an angled Zardes effort, snatching all three points for the suddenly revitalized Crew, who are now unbeaten in three after a five-game losing skid.
- 15' – RBNY – Brian White | WATCH
- 16' – CLB – Luis Argudo | WATCH
- 46' – CLB – Pedro Santos | WATCH
- 63' – RBNY – Daniel Royer (PK) | WATCH
- 84' – CLB – Pedro Santos | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: This was the first home loss for RBNY since May 8, and just the second road win of the year for the Crew, the first coming way back on March 9 at New England. It's too soon to know whether this result portends trouble for the Red Bulls or a rebirth for Columbus, but the Crew's summer roster overhaul seems to be bearing fruit.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Santos' dramatic late game-winner is the logical choice.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The Crew needed someone with skill and vision to step up when Federico Higuain suffered a season-ending knee injury, and Pedro Santos has answered the bell, on Saturday and in general.