San Jose Earthquakes 3, Colorado Rapids 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Brimming with the confidence of a team that's lost only once in their last 10 league games, the Quakes raced out of the gates, taking the lead less than two minutes in via a Lalas Abubakar own goal. Facing his own net with Chris Wondolowski lurking behind him at the back post, the Rapids center back could not deal with a low, driven cross by Cristian Espinoza as it caromed off the outside of his right foot past Clint Irwin.
Half an hour later Vako doubled the lead with a twinkled-toed solo effort after some hard work in the corner by Nick Lima, who found the Georgian international in the penalty box and watched as he turned Keegan Rosenberry inside-out before curling a fine finish inside the far post for his third goal in as many games.
Shea Salinas rose from the bench to grace the match with a lovely run and finish, cutting in from the left flank and swerving past a few defenders, then rolling a simple tap-in past Irwin. Diego Rubio answered with a deflected late strike for the Rapids after a strong endline run from Jonathan Lewis, but it was too little, too late to be anything more than a consolation.
- 2' – SJ – Lalas Abubakar (OG) | WATCH
- 34' – SJ – Vako | WATCH
- 83' – SJ – Shea Salinas | WATCH
- 88' – COL – Diego Rubio | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Quakes are brimming with energy, pride and purpose as they rack up wins, and they're making Avaya a daunting place to visit, going undefeated at home since March. Meanwhile, Colorado are drifting back to earth after that seven-game unbeaten streak in May and June with a four-game winless skid.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Salinas gave the home crowd a moment to remember, though we'll point to Vako's sterling footwork and finish as the must-see play from this affair...
- MAN OF THE MATCH: San Jose's collectivist tactics and mindset make it difficult to single out individuals; that said, Magnus Eriksson notched another impressive outing as he quietly builds an All-Star-caliber campaign.